Please come in.
Many thanks to you, our wonderful neighbours and remote customers, who not only helped our business to survive the first lockdown but also to thrive in these very strange times! We've had the time and space to implement some exciting new changes to the shop, the first of which you can see for yourself when you come in to browse.
We have been re-opening in the same way we closed for lockdown...slowly. So we will still have a few restrictions in place for everyone's safety:
1) Masks are now mandatory in shops all over the country. Please be sure to bring yours (We also have washable locally-made masks for sale for €10). We have new screens around the counter for added protection, and if we step out from behind the screens to assist you, we will be sure to wear a mask, too.
2) We will have a hand sanitising station at the door for your use on entering and leaving. Please use it before you touch anything in the shop. We've been asked a number of times how we plan to disinfect the books. The reality is we can't. According to current information, the virus can live on paper for 24 hours, but you shouldn't be any more at risk than you would be doing your weekly shop. We will continue to wash our hands frequently and disinfect the commonly touched surfaces throughout the day.
3) Only 2 people (plus one staff member) allowed in the shop at any one time, as long as we maintain a 2-metre physical distance from each other.
4) We are not planning to re-open the Reading Room downstairs until Phase 4 begins, though we may wait until later in the year if advice changes. This means you won't be able to sit in with your coffee and a good book for a little while longer. However, we are now serving takeaway hot drinks and snacks, and on the nice days you can sit at our outside tables.
5) The toilet will be closed to customers for now.
6) We will continue to operate on reduced hours until at least the beginning of Phase 4:
Mollie and Liz